Internet components most Internet users are familiar with are
e-mail, the web, and web access. But if you are considering setting
up a web site for your business and/or becoming your own web master
there are other Internet components to consider. What follows
is a list of all of the most common components of the Internet.
- To interact directly with the Internet requires some form of
access or connectivity to the Internet.
- IRC (Internet Relay Chat) is used for live discussions on the
- Taking orders for products and services on the Internet.
- Exchanging electronic letters, messages, and small files.
- File Transfer Protocol is the most common method of transferring
files between computers via the Internet.
- Making information available to others on the Internet.
Lists - E-mail messages forwarded to everyone on a special
Engines - These tools are really a part of the World Wide
Web and are often used when looking for information because the
Web has grown so large and is without any inherent organizational
- Creation of a dumb terminal session to a host computer in order
to run software applications on the host system.
- Newsgroups for receiving news and sending out announcements.
Wide Web - This is largest, fastest growing, part of the Internet,
the part for which Internet browsers like Netscape’s Navigator
and Microsoft’s Explorer were designed. Business is the leading
factor fueling the rapid growth of the Web making information,
advertising, and product ordering readily available to everyone
with Web access.